I’ve been happily thrift shopping for over 30 years. But, I wore gently used clothes from my toddler days clear through my teen years … from the proverbial hand-me-downs to the secondhand gown my mother bought me when I was voted Homecoming Queen. Needless to say, having to live on the cheap for so long, I abhorred anything thrifty.
Once I was married, and on the rebound from anything recycled, I was determined to buy new and staying far away from a life filled with someone else’s cast-offs.
Today I can honestly say that my beautifully decorated home and fabulous wardrobe have cost me nothing. I buy exclusively from the remarkable thrift venues that pepper the nation; garage sales, flea markets, yard sales, consignment shops, auctions, tag sales, antique malls and estate sales!
Furthermore, I hold a garage sale … every year. Actually, I call them Diva Sales because they are stocked with all the fabulous things I let go of after each season. The yearly purging of my home allows an array of new-to-me items back into my home and a fresh wardrobe every year.
Coming full circle, there are layers of reasons to love and live frugally. And since I buy only thrift, here are 15 of my best and brightest motivations:
- No more sticker shock!
- Best bargain bragging rights
- Guilt-free shopping . . . the price is always right.
- Decorate for FREE by purging yearly … Thar’s Gold in Them Thar Cupboards!
- Incentive to clutter-bust your home – Reduce, Reuse, and Redo
- Create magazine spread homes using trendy thrift
- Donate to feel GREEN and great!
- Capture items not normally affordable
- Find once-in-a-lifetime treasures
- Power dress for pennies
- Find Red-Carpet fashions . . . cheap
- Have fun while saving a ton
- Unique finds that express your individuality
- Build personal wealth by dressing and decorating for free
- Ignite the creativity within; repurposing at its best